Saturday, February 6, 2016

Perry's 25pdr, quad and limber

For our forthcoming Crete/Greece/Nth. Africa campaign (Chain of Command or Bolt Action) game (note a lot has not been decided!) I have been encouraged to do up my 25pdr field gun with Quad and limber from Perry's WWII British range.  First off I have to say its a beautiful model with a good crew with the range of functions including the rammer and two loaders (one with shell, one with charge). Rather than crowd the lot on the same base as the gun I've divvied them up.



So basically you've got the gunner seated, twiddling with the elevation, a second gunner adjusting the sights? then the loader (Number 3!) has finished ramming home the charge and has closed or is about to close the breech.  Watching on is the NCO in charge and the two other loaders who are next to the limber, holding shell and charge ready for the next shot.



This is another variation of the two bases together with the Quad, which I have not based up. I think the separate limber and crew base works well either way.



The Quad is also solid resin with an open-able command hatch.  I thought seriously of chopping up one of my binocular command figures (with mortar crew I think) and putting him in with the hatch open but in the end couldn't bring myself to do it - although I may  change my mind at some future date!  I don't think the Quad needed to be based as well as it can be more easily used or removed for gaming purposes. I haven't put any markings on it as I haven't decided yet whether it'll be Aussie 9 Div or Brit RHA.



Anyway it's a great model and I can't wait to get him into action!



Note I've used the barrel without the muzzle brake so it will fit in with the earlier Mediterranean stuff. Anyway I thought I'd post this before my Warlord DAK etc, arrive and the painting frenzy begins again!

No comments:

Post a Comment