Thursday, April 29, 2010

Bring out yer dead... again

Likely my final post for a bit as I get into uni work - an effort long overdue!   Just tidying a few things up figure-wise as I clear the study 'decks' of painting impedimenta & finishing off most of my casualty markers.  They are all infantry as making cavalry ones at 28mm is just too much mucking about - I have a few ideas mind - but it involves using some of the French cav horses i.e. for every marker, one less mounted figure so some careful consideration is required.  What I did think of though was using the old Airfix dead horses - I have plenty of 20mm casualty markers including a number I made up for cav. 

The above are a Russian hussar, Austrian uhlan and cuirassier, follwed by a French one & two horses, one French cuirassier, one Austrian.  I have another half dozen or so in 'production' which should provide enough for an average game.

I realise that they are a tad on the small size BUT they are about the same as 28mm infantry markers and as they are meant to be symbolic after all, shouldn't look too out of place.  Damn sight easier to make up as well!

The above are the 28mm markers - most converted casualty figures from the two Perry's French cav sets or from their metal casualty set.  My favourite is the Legere carabinier figure with bearskin courtesy of the dragoons (both on the back with outstretched arm are converted British fusilier figures).  The others are a mix of Foundry and ? - mostly earlier French.  I enjoy making little vignettes for many of them - the bits and bobs you get with most plastic sets providing plenty of accessories for the battlefield!

As always, any comments are most welcome and click on the pics to see the enlarged version.

Cheers,
   Doc

5 comments:

  1. Very nice. You can never have enough casualty markers in your games .... or at least I can't! 8O)

    I'm hoping to see more cavalry casualty figures from manufacturers. Not based on any inside information. I'm just hoping!

    Salute
    von Peter himself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice painting as usual, Doc.

    What do you use your markers for in your rules? Are they unit morale indicators, or are they just to add 'colour' to your games? I've been toying with the idea of making casualty markers to indicate, say, retreating or routing units, which in our local club rules are hard to remember as there is no formal way of recording unit morale.

    Good luck with your studies. Don't spend too much time procrastinating looking at more interesting websites while essay writing ;-)

    Cheers,

    Rosbif

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree von Peter - particularly with the Black Powder rules. My plan is to have 16 markers - say enough for a maximum of four per unit for four units. Mind you, the games I've played, if I'd had four units with that many casualties I'd have been in serious trouble! I did hint very unsubtly to the Perry's that some cav markers would be great - Alan helpfully pointed out that he'd done the base with the squashed Rohans for the giant Mumak set (he and Michael are depicted in the carnage) - perfect for what we require! - but stopped short of agreeing with the suggestion. More heavy hints or just undignified pleading required methinks.

    Rosbif - as above I intend use them to mark units that have suffered casualties in Black Powder games. You can use just one indicating more than a single casualty for that unit with dice pips (four markers for a single unit is a tad excessive IMO). They can be used this way for a number of rule sets and are an easier (and more aesthetically pleasing) way to show casualties on the tabletop.

    And yes, essay writing NOT surfing the web OR painting must be the Order of the Day!

    Cheers,
    Doc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    I also own some casualty markers (made from old Airfix stes) but, at last, I use head-coloured pins: green, oranga and red...
    I only use the markers near prepared positions...
    And yes... the time of study adn essay writing is arrived, so .... good luck!
    Rafa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rafa! One take home exam and four papers in two months - time to 'extractus digitus'!

    Cheers,
    Doc

    ReplyDelete