Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Franco-Prussian War French Command

Back from my hols in sunnier climes (sand, surf and sun - when the rain wasn't too torrential!) and first off decided to finish the French command base I previewed in my last post.  They are all Foundry figures I've had for years and finally decided to do something with.  The scene is French commanding general Bazaine has a massive headache while his corps commanders argue about where the Prussians are coming from and how the hell they're going to get out of the mess they're in.  Two field officers are observing the battle while the conference goes on behind and a courier has just arrived with what looks like could be more bad news for Bazaine.  Typical FPW French command debacle.

First French officer to 2nd officer (observing the battle in front): 'Are we in a bit of trouble mon ami?'
2nd officer to 1st officer: 'Oui - judging from the noise behind us - we're screwed!'


The courier arrives: 'Well - if you REALLY want to give it to him... '

Bazaine - wishing they'd invented Aspro's in 1870

'I know where the Prussians are - it says so right here on this map!'

Other general: 'Imbecile!' Bazaine: [groan]'Mon Dieu!'



The chair, table and maps were part of the original Foundry set but I added the box with a spare Perry's French officer's sword and kepi.  The flocking on the base was a flocking nightmare being about 35C today and being a clumsy old sod I got the muck everywhere.  At least the tree turned out OK.

I love the FPW period and have also made up a number of casualty markers for the French included one of my artillery ones like I made for the Prussians.  Don't know how if they'll make any difference playing the game but at least like the respective command stands - they'll be good eye-candy for the table - and you can't have too much of that I say!

Cheers,
            Doc

10 comments:

  1. These look absolutely fantastic Doc. Love the period but have never ventured down that line, too many other projects unfinished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work Doc, great period too.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant little vignette, Doc.

    What rules will you use to play the period? Black Powder, or something specific for the period?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all - Rosbif I use Black Powder now because I believe it to be the most balanced for playing FPW. I've used a number previously including a Fire & Fury variant but all seem to favour the Prussians too much - the main problem being that FPW French generalship was so lousy its hard not to factor it into a ruleset!

    Cheers,
    Doc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work, Doc.lovely painting and composition too. I have a hankering for the FPW, nut I've always assumed you need loads of figures! Anyway, a lovely vignette.

    Best wishes

    Giles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Doc. I like the FPW, I might get around to it in 2025.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Brazilian art and culture shown to the world through the blog from Brazil


    www.aartedenewtonavelino.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dead smart! Wanting to pick up on my FPW collection now.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks again for all the great comments. Giles - the army I've collected for the Prussians consists of two (possibly three if I get around to it) brigades of infantry. Each brigade has two regiments with each regt consisting of two 18 figure battalions. To this I've added one cav bde (3 x regts of 10 figs each) and two batteries of two guns each (12 figs). I have the cav command and army command but only one inf bde cmdr at present. So thats 72 figs per inf bde plus one mounted cmdr. Total at present 160 foot, 34 mounted and 4 guns. Not a huge army but more than enough for a good encounter battle using Black Powder. To help this I have a dozen casualty markers and half a dozen 'prone' markers (to indicate the unit is lying flat). My French army is roughly the same but with a few less cav (24) and two more guns (Mitraileuse m/guns) with the batteries and now with all the necessary command figures. The plan is to have the complete FPW set-up within a month or two. I must confess that this project is only now being finished after fives years of collecting!

    Cheers,
    Doc

    ReplyDelete