Sunday, March 14, 2010
Italian Grenadier Command
After I finished the painting I decided to apply the Army Painter tone. Apart from the flesh and a general weak black wash - which was then highlighted in the base colour - I did not do the usual layers of washes to build up the tone. So the first shot is the figures painted but 'in the raw' as it were, before basing and flags to finish. I was particularly interested to see how the white uniforms would turn out as I had abandoned my earlier method with these figures.
The next is of the finished figures, with the toner and after a matt varnish has been applied. The variation on the white uniforms is almost entirely the addition of the Painter tone. Looks OK to me and saves time - I'll be using this method again for the remaining two battalions of Italians.
I must admit to enjoying doing small dioramas like these, far more enjoyable than painting figures en masse - which is what I now must away to do to get a regiment of Union Perry figures painted and based for a Black Powder game tomorrow evening.
I tell you - the work never stops!