Thursday, May 12, 2011

FPW - the Prussian High Command

Finally got around to finishing the Prussian High Command stand.  To compliment the French one I've made it similarly with an MDF coaster, command figures gathered around a table under a tree.  But there the similarities end!




You'll notice that apart from a few less figures, the Prussians appear considerably more relaxed than their French counterparts!  That is entirely Foundry's doing. Instead of having his head in his hands like the French general, the Prussian one is calmly puffing away on an enormous Meerschaum.



My only addition to the Foundry vignette is the conversion of a standard bearer to that of a courier by putting a wedge of official documents (bound with a leather strap) into his hand instead of a flagstaff, trimming off the bearer's holder and shaping a plastic pack from the Perry's French into a sort of courier's satchel.


To round off the group I added a pair of infantry officers observing the action through binoculars.  I've got one  brigade command stand to re-do then get stuck into another battalion of infantry.  At 24 figures each - now only about half a dozen of those left to do - Achtung! Ich muss verrückt sein!

Cheers,
          Doc

8 comments:

  1. Lovely diorama!

    Did you make the tree yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhhhhhhhhhh.... shame, shame...
    Why did you have to paint those evil Prussian. We French resent that!

    Na, just kiding... Lovely work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I don't know what happened to this post but Blogger has been screwed up for 24 hours and this post went missing, only to return without any of the comments! So to Sebastien, KingsleyPark and AngryLurker - apologies. Sebastien, I have actually posted quite a bit on FPW French earlier - particularly their High Command vignette. Just click on the 'FPW French' tag on the left.

    My next project will be to finish the Prussians and perhaps some more French, including more cavalry (dragoons). I also have to do my Perry's Guard Lancers too - I feel the need for another French cavalry 'fix' coming on again - about time to do some more painting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I'll look into it after lunch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doc, that's a masterful vignette. The detail on the papers and other items on the table is fantastic. They really carry a suitably Teutonic air of confidence - lovely work!

    Best wishes

    Giles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very neat piece Doc. The puffing General is one of my all time Foundry favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys, much appreciated. I was unsure about the pics as they are all taken at night on my table with table-lamps and a flash. The Lumix is very good on low level lighting but I still had to fudge about with the colour a bit to get that Autumn-like feel to it. I have to say its an OK result - but not a great one. To get the colours of the figures right you have to use natural light for the best result.

    Oh well - more Prussians to paint!

    ReplyDelete